Tuesday 30 August 2016

Bank Holiday Sunshine (and some filming...)

This Bank Holiday Monday I spent at Looe with some visiting family (and my brood!), basking in glorious sunshine. Before leaving I was tempted to weigh myself down with a load of camera gear, thinking it would be a beautiful day for some photos, however at the last minute I stopped myself with the thought that a) I'd have to lug it around all day and b) it would get in the way of spending some quality time with the aforementioned family so, slightly (but not really too) begrudgingly, I left it all behind.

And we had a great day, mooching around, paddling in the sea, eating ice cream and doing all the touristy stuff that we always do in a place that's only 1/2 an hour away and we seem to gravitate to whenever we're not sure what to do. And why not, it's a beautiful place!. Whilst there my wife was taking pictures with her iPhone in what we refer to as capturing family memory mode, ie:

Which to be frank I'm generally really lazy about and leave to her and which I'll be incredibly thankful for in years to come when they disappear to University or the like. Until she started doing this I was content to not have my camera and hadn't really thought about taking any pictures but very soon I started to get an itchy trigger finger and thought it can't hurt to get my iPhone out of my pocket...

All resistance soon crumbled and I started taking a few shots. I always forget how good the camera on my phone actually is and I got some images that I was really happy with and truth be told I seriously didn't miss my DSLR. Here's a couple:




Note the lack of family members! Then I thought I can take this further. Let's play with some slow-motion video. The harbour was really busy as the tide came in with boats going in and out so perfect opportunity for some artsy stuff and as the camera was holding up so well to the stills I was pretty sure I'd get a good, if not fantastic result. In fact I got this, which for a few minutes waving my phone around I'm pretty happy with:


The whole point of this blog post is really to highlight the fact that you don't need the latest and greatest, the biggest and the best. The old adage stands true 'The best camera is always the one you have with you!' (an iPhone 5S in this case). I think technology really is at a point now where anything from the last 3 years at least should really be at least good enough.

Now where's my credit card, the Canon 5D MkIV is available for pre-order...!


NB: None of the family noticed me filming either so I didn't get into trouble for ignoring them!

No comments:

Post a Comment